Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, unfortunately your
suggestion did not fix the persisting 12mile lightning_distance output.   I
tried the following 4 corrections one at a time in weewx.conf:

[[Corrections]]
lightning_distance = lightning_distance if lightning_strike_count  >  0
else None       # no change, persistent 12 mile lightning distance values
in the absence of lightning strikes

lightning_distance = None if lightning_strike_count < 1 else
lightning_distance    # no change, persistent 12 mile lightning distance
values in the absence of lightning strikes.

lightning_distance = None       # results in NULL for all lightning
distance values in database

lightning_distance = lightning_distance if lightning_strike_count > 0 else
0.0       # gives lightning distance valve of zero when there are no
lightning strikes,  this is close to what I want, but I rather have NULL
valves for lightning_distance when strike count is zero.

Its strange that lightening_distance can be set to NULL with the third
correction, but not the first or second correction.   Yet the if, else
seems to be working in the fourth correction.