Tom K.  Do not spend more time on this, I just did a power down and
restarted Debian and then went through start up with weewxd and it now
works.  I know that Linux is supposed to be vastly different from Windows
and 'reboots' not usually needed, but it wasn't working before the restart
but does now.  Please use your advising time for someone else, since the
problem seems to have been fixed but I have no understanding of why.  I'm
just pleased to have Celestial.inc working!  Thank you.
Dale