> this doesn't seem to be written with freebsd in mind

Correct. Call in unintentionally intentional if you like but I don't use
BSD and nor do I see any other driver/extension including specific BSD
instructions. That said I am happy to get a freebsd VM up and running if
need be to deal with any gw1000 issues, keep in mind though that I am
coming off a zero BSD knowledge baseline so don't expect an answer
overnight :)

That being said, and noting the issue above re log message lines line being
too long (the gw1000 driver field map is really looong), I have patched the
current GW1000 driver release file (v0.3.1) to limit the log entry to less
than 80 characters (well 60 characters plus some other bits and pieces
depending on your python version). You can try it if you want, to install
it:

1. move aside your present gw1000.py (sorry but I have lost track where it
is)
2. download the patched gw1000.py from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gjr80/weewx-gw1000/bsd_issues/bin/user/gw1000.py

and save it in place of your previous gw1000.py. I would use $ wget
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gjr80/weewx-gw1000/bsd_issues/bin/user/gw1000.py

to download it directly on my Debian system but I have no idea what you
need do on BSD.
3. restart WeeWX

I have versioned this patched file as v0.3.1special and fior want of a
better place have it in the bsd_issues branch in the GW100 driver GitHub
repo, don't use this branch for anything as it will likely be deleted in
the near future.

Gary