What is WebP ?

An image format developed by Google in 2010. Quote from Google “WebP is a
modern image format that provides superior lossless and lossy compression
for images on the web. Using WebP, webmasters and web developers can create
smaller, richer images that make the web faster.” WebP adoption has been
slow but as of now in 2022 it appears that around 95% of user devices such
as desktop PC’s and phones support the file format. One article here has
some data on supporting browsers https://caniuse.com/webp

Given the adoption rate I thought it was time to see if WeeWX could produce
plots in WebP format. It was very easy to get WeeWX to produce WebP format
plots. Results were an average file size reduction of 50% percent, with
little if any discernible image quality differences.

Been using only WebP plot images on my very low traffic website for a few
days and haven’t heard any complaints. Would love if you could take some to
try to view the site and let me know of any browser, device issues. Also
what you think of image quality, to me they look like normal WeeWX plots.

Site:

https://pauland.net

Thank You,

Paul