Samuli Kettunen <metsahal...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using Davis Envoy + Weewx combo since 2011. About year ago I
> moved Weewx from bare metal to Proxmox VM. Since that I have got ftdi
> errors every 1-4 weeks that can be solved only by pulling usb-plug out and
> putting it back again (for example system reboot does not restore
> communication - ftdi chip needs to be actually depowered):

I have not done what you are doing, but my guess is that your problems
are that you are running a USB device drive in a VM, either PCI
passthrough to the controller, or to an emulated controller which is
then talking to hardware.  You should understand what's really
happening and it is likely pretty complicated.

I don't know if weewx has easy support for this, but if you can run a
process in the dom0 (host kernel on the hardware) and then connect weewx
to that over TCP from inside the VM, you will have removed all the USB
driver issues from the VM.