I'm struggling to understand how $NOAA_table works - how it gets called
from a template.  I'm looking at Belchertown and it simply has $NOAA_table
where the NOAA stuff is to appear.

I have a DokuWiki with information from WeeWx.  Mostly it's simply as it's
just images, but there is a Weather & NOAA Statistics page which is
generated by a template.

There is no problem until it comes to the NOAA stuff, and the problem there
is all that is in the template at present is this - the first line is a
DokuWiki heading:

===== NOAA Data =====
$NOAA_table

And as implied, NOAA_table generates HTML.  I want to provide my own
version that generates DokuWiki format.

The current arrangement also leaves the links displayed with styling for
external links rather than links pages in the namespace.

I want my own code in a new file (dokuwiki_noaa.py for example) so I don't
have to worry if/when I upgrade WeeWx.  I can see where the current code
that generates the NOAA table is, but I don't understand how it works
enough to change it.