I am in deepest appreciation for the effort.  I have been thwarted in knowing sort of how it works, despite reading almost every comment here.  I have tried three different Learn Python books, and all are explaining the very basic stuff I know, then taking a big jump over my next step in understanding.  But the last one (blush, one of the 'python for dummies' ones, I'll admit it) is just about my pace. I'm up to the point of understanding data dictionaries and importing/exporting files, and think if I can master that, I'll be able to interface with a few more platforms and then be able to sleep at night!

I cannot imagine TK starting such a robust effort 'just' to learn a new programming language.  What an accomplishment, and we all have an incredibly versatile weather software program for it. Thank you.