Alastair L <ajand...@gmail.com> writes:

> Apologies in advance for this off topic question, but I'm sure someone out
> there has had  a similar issue and solved it.

It is but many struggle with RPIs.

My advice is

0) Ask this in RPI-land instead.
1) first image the card you have, saving it
2) figure out and implement a backup strategy for your data
3) get another card, and do an install
4) mount it someplace and look at the files in the boot partition and
   see which is different from the card that was in the machine that
   broke.  It is possible that your old system hasn't gotten the new
   packages.
5) think about using other small computers that are less pesky than the
   RPI.  I like the PC engines apu2 series, but last I checked they too
   were having supply chain issues.