I can think of two reasons why this might be happening.

1. You are using a Python 2 version of pip, which will install packages in
the Python 2 directory hierarchy. If you then run weewxd using Python 3, it
won't find it.

I almost never invoke Python as "python", nor pip as "pip". Instead, use
the "3" suffix: python3 or pip3. That way you can be sure of which version
you're getting.

2. Did you try to install Cheetah from the weewx distribution subdirectory?
If so, pip will see the setup.cfg in there and install it in a funny place
where Python can't find it. Take a look in /home/weewx/bin and see if
Cheetah ended up there.

If that's the case, cd to something else and try again.

cd /home/weewx
pip install Cheetah3