"iams...@gmail.com" <iamst...@gmail.com> writes:

> I've looked into getting a UPS for the Pi, which really appears to be
> nothing more than a $15 ext phone battery, but it seems to me this is a
> weewx problem that should be addressed. Alternately, I can contact Davis to
> see what they say.
> "

It seems, from long history, that if the computer that is polling the
data logger goes away suddenly while interacting with the logger, the
logger can get messed up.   This is arguably a bug in the logger.

My advice, just like the advice you got from others, is get a UPS, which
will also help avoid filesystem mess on the RPI0.

If you want to trace what's on the serial and experiment and figure out
what's going on, you certainly can.   But, pretty much everybody with
the skills to do that believes in "you should get a UPS".