On Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 11:49:24 AM UTC-8 walke...@googlemail.com
wrote:
No, I'm aware of that. Given that I've got the site working in a very
non-purist way, I shall let if get on with it for the time being as I've
got other things which are higher priority at the moment. When I come back
to tackle it again, I shall certainly provide much more info.

FWIW, the usual mistake people make is using one user (typically 'pi') for
setting the keys up, editing weewx.conf to match, then being surprised when
it fails.  The nuance there is that weewx runs as a different user
(typically 'root').  You have to set up the $HOME/.ssh/config and keys for
the user weewx runs as.

Basically the quickest test is to sudo to root (who weewx runs as) and run
one command...

sudo bash
ssh remote_username date
(and see the remote system's date returned)