I assume you are referring to the tags $month.start and $month.end, the
start and stop of the interval $month. See
http://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#Start,_end,_and_dateTime

Using the example from the Customizing Guide, if $month.end returned
31-Jan-2010, what time should it be? It can't be 00:00: we would be missing
the whole day 31-Jan-2010. It also can't be 24:00: no such time exists.

So, it must be 1-Feb-2010 at midnight. The month runs right up to the
instant the clock turns over into February.

Now I recognize that when one is running a report that works in units of
days, not instants of time, you might want to represent the end of the
month as being 31-Jan-2010 (no time) and not 1-Feb-2010 00:00.

Thinking out loud here, we could create tags such as:

$week.last_day
$month.last_day
$year.last_day

but I'm not sure what they would return. While the tag $month.end returns a
ValueHelper that holds a unix epoch time internally, that's not going to
work for $month.last_day, because it will print 31-Jan-2010 00:00 --- not
what we want. The user would have to always remember to custom format it to
show only days --- no time. Something like
$month.last_day.format("%d-%b-%Y"). That feels wrong.

Alternatively, $month.last_day could return a Julian Day or a Python
datetime.date object. I'd have to think about it.

If you're really stuck, you can always custom format the end of the month
like this:

#from time import strftime, localtime

Note the "- 1". That shoves the time into the previous day. The results
will be 31-Jan-2010.