So you’re maintaining a circular buffer of (24h/loop packet interval) rainfall samples.  Is that right?

Web: http://www.cusick.org.uk

On 18 Sep 2023, at 16:53, 'John Kline' via weewx-user <weewx-user@googlegroups.com> wrote:

I wrote this extension; although, I no longer use it because I have generalized the functionality to work on any observation and for any time length in my weewx-loopdata extension.

What you are missing is that the plug-in operates at the loop packet level.  Other than loading from the database at start up, with archive interval precision, it does not read the database.  Rather, it keeps track of any rain recorded in loop packets such that they can be decremented from rain 24 hours later.  For example, if .01 rain occurs 87s into an archive interval; and another .01 rain occurs 20s later; the 24 hour rain will decrement (i.e., the rain24 value injected into the loop packets) when each .01 occurrence falls out of the 24 hour window; not when the archive record in the database is older than 24 hours.

Of course, this is all meaningless if you are just going to use it in reports that are only generated on the archive interval; but the for insane (I resemble that remark) who want to see 24 hour rain decrement at loop interval precision on their weather sites that update on every loop packet, it is useful.

John