I have been running a dual-weewx setup for nearly a year, having added an
Ecowitt system mainly for air quality, with a separate custom DB.
I have been running two separate skins, based on Seasons, with a few charts
including binding from the other DB.
I thought I should really do it properly, and just set up a single skin
with everything I wanted, but I am having problems when there are no data
required from the default binding.

Initially I thought that it was failing *whenever *there was no  data from
the default binding, but it seems stranger than that.
The simplest example is co2:  The following stanza fails to produce
anything:

        [[[dayco2]]]
            data_binding = "ecowitt_binding"
            [[[[co2]]]]

However, the following works...

        [[[dayco2]]]
            data_binding = "ecowitt_binding"
            [[[[co2]]]]
            [[[[barometer]]]]

Note that I am using the ecowitt binding for all data, and the ecowitt
barometer fields are empty, so the plot I get is only for the CO2.

So, from the combinations that I have tried,  it seems that

   1. you *can *do a plot containing data only in the secondary binding -
   sometimes
   2. you *cannot *do a plot if none of the data names exist in the default
   binding.
   3. At least one of the data types named inside square brackets *must
   exist in  the default binding*, irrespective of whichever binding
   supplies the data.
   4. I could not  trick it by specifying a known name, such as
   "[[[[inTemp]]]]" and then overriding with "data_type = co2"