* David Hindley <hindle...@gmail.com> [Mon, Dec 18 2023 08:09 +0000]:

When I type

ps -aux|grep weewx

I get

root       535  5.6  6.1 117524 58128 ?        Sl   10:16   2:42 python2
/usr/share/weewx/weewxd --daemon --pidfile=/var/run/weewx.pid
/etc/weewx/weewx.conf
pi        2130  0.0  0.0   4368   564 pts/0    S+   11:04   0:00 grep
--color=auto weewx

And, then typing

sudo /etc/init.d/weewx stop

produces

Stopping weewx (via systemctl): weewx.service.

but then repeating the grep command, still shows the 535 process still
running?

How do I stop weewx - do I have to use kill 535 perhaps?

That is an option, but I'd first confirm that weewx is not getting
stopped (that can take some seconds to happen though).

If you confirm weewx unstopped after 10 seconds you could kill the
process number with `sudo kill 535` (sending TERM signal to the process)
and if that does not work either you can KILL the process with
`sudo kill -9 535` which will force the process to kill.

You would normally kill a process with TERM, which tells the process to
save and finish, KILL will quit the process regardless of unfinished
operations of that process.

This is usually described in the `signal(3)` manpage, but could differ on
your operating system.

You could also use the pid file of weewx, which could look something
like that to force kill the process:
`sudo kill -9 $(cat /var/run/weewx.pid)`

HTH

- dominic

Thanks

David.