Here's another idea.  I don't know anything about Nagios, but I'm running
this screwy setup where I made up my own
thermostat(s), and in the living room, the one has a small OLED display for
set point, current temp, and also outside
temp and wind chill that gets sent from my weather station's weewx via
MQTT.  I'm sending a few observations along
with the current time from weewx.  The receivers track to make sure the
values are changing, and I get a text message
when things are askew.  In any case, if Nagios can listen to MQTT messages,
this is pretty easy to set up.
Chris