On Wednesday, January 31, 2024 at 4:35:09 AM UTC-5 simonj...@gmail.com
wrote:

I have modified the "WEEWX_PYTHON=python2" line to be "python3" and now the
install progresses further, however no getting

Setting up weewx (5.0.0-1) ...
Using root:root as user:group
Using debconf configuration values from previous install
usage: weectl.py -v|--version
       weectl.py -h|--help
       weectl.py database --help
       weectl.py debug --help
       weectl.py device --help
       weectl.py extension --help
       weectl.py import --help
       weectl.py report --help
       weectl.py station --help
weectl.py: error: unrecognized arguments: │ │

dpkg: error processing package weewx (--configure):
 installed weewx package post-installation script subprocess returned error
exit status 2

 weewx

I'll work on this one separately.

this is now a separate problem.  now the version tags in weewx.conf are not
evaluating as expected (could me many reasons for this), so the fallback is
to provision a new weewx.conf using values from debconf.  but it looks like
your debconf is not fully populated, so the call to weectl fails.

it could be pretty tricky to figure out how it got into this state.  but
check the 'version' in /etc/weewx.conf - that won't give us a definitely
answer, but it might provide a clue.

to extract yourself, do a remove of weewx (not a purge!!)

sudo apt remove weewx

then install v5 again.

the remove should leave your database (/var/lib/weewx) and configurations
(/etc/weewx) intact.  but make a copy of those directories before doing the
remove, just to be safe.