Today I could successfully update my weewx 4.x installation to the new
weewx version  5.0.1 on a raspberry pi 4 running OSMC 2024-02 (kodi 20.3).

Don't know why but I had to manually update the weewx gpg key. Otherwise
apt update failed.

There was one major flaw in using the driver WH23xx - the access onto USB
connection was refused (to be expected due to the permission changes).
Sadly WH23xx is no longer officially supported, but the driver from
weewx-4.x works fine. One has to add one udev rule to grant weewx access. I
added the file /etc/udev/rules.d/900-weewx-wh23xx.rules containing the
single line:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb",ATTRS{idVendor}=="10c4",ATTRS{idProduct}=="8468",MODE="0664",GROUP="weewx"

BTW, I've seen "private" udev rules wihin /etc/weewx/udev. I assume that
those rules are only for reference, but not used directly. Of course I've
used them as a pattern for my solution.

Regarding installation: Before running the update on my target raspberry
pi4 I tried a "vanilla" installation on another platform -  Suse
tumbleweed. That, too, failed first. This time the URL of the weewx
repository was not accessible. I manipulated it to point onto .../suse15.
As a consequence the validation failed, but I simply ignored that and could
finally install weewx under tumbleweed. I only wanted to get some files in
advance before doing the real raspberry installation. I do NOT use weewx
under tumbleweed.

Regards, Michael