The problems I am seeing are:

An upgrade does not automatically stop the running services - I try to
manually stop them first, but occasionally I do not even notice a new weewx
among the other packages.

I have standard weewx config as a simulator, so it does not matter if it
runs, but I prefer it not to. However, if I mask the weewx service, then
dpkg configure fails and tries to complete configuration every time it runs.
If I disable weewx.service, then dpkg always re-enables it and starts it.

I can see that if a sysV-init version is running, then the scripts could
presumably handle it, but is there a way to configure the system so the
install scripts know to do something different for a multi-system?