walter,

thank you for being patient.

On Monday, February 12, 2024 at 11:22:13 AM UTC-5 wagr...@gmail.com wrote:

I made again a new installation in the meantime, version 5. with the same
permission problem.
Now I realise that "weewx" is NOT running the process `weewxd`. It runs
under my own user.

how did this happen?  if you installed weewx v4 using deb/rpm, it would
have run as root.  at some point, you must have modified the configuration
so that weewxd runs as you instead of root. or perhaps you are running
weewxd directly, in which case it is running as you now, but runs as a
different user when the system boots. or perhaps at some point you changed
the ownership of /var/lib/weewx so it is owned by you?

please post the contents of these files:

/etc/default/weewx
/etc/systemd/system/weewx.service
/etc/init.d/weewx

this may seem like pointless questions, but if we understand what is
different about your configuration, we can make the process smoother for
everyone.

How can I set required permissions to my user or how can weewx take over
the the weewxd process?
Sorry to ask but my Linuxknowledge is limited :-|

 *if* weewxd is running as you, and you want that to continue, then you
must change ownership of the files to your username, not 'weewx'.

however, if you want weewxd to run as the 'weewx' user, then you must:
1) ensure that the weewx user exists (from your previous posting, weewx
user appears to exist)
2) change ownership of the files to weewx (from your previous posting, the
owner ship was weewx:weewx, at least when you posted)
3) ensure that the systemd unit uses User=weewx and Group=weewx (look in
/usr/lib/systemd/system/weewx.service)
4) ensure that you do not have other configuration that would override the
default (you should not need /etc/systemd/system/weewx.service)
5) do not invoke weewxd directly as yourself, only as the weewx user