Hi Vince, et al,
  Yes, all working well.  I was looking at it, from a device permissions
point-of-view.  Software weewx, for some reason, no-longer had rights to,
in my case /dev/ttyUSB0 (which has been working for 11 years).  Ownership
of the device were set to root:dialout (as are the serial ports).  I saw
that weewx was running as user weewx (hmm, don't recall that...).  User
weewx was a member of group weewx, so amended the device ownership to:
root:weewx.

Cheers, Jason.

On Tuesday 20 February 2024 at 17:10:27 UTC+11 vince wrote:

> Is it working now ? What thoughts are you looking for in particular ?
>
> On Monday, February 19, 2024 at 5:47:48 PM UTC-8 Jason Patton wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>   After trying to pick-up the pieces of a borked upgrade, I just
>> encountered the same 'could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0'.  Entirely possible
>> that I've missed documentation somewhere, but is would seem that weewx, is
>> now running as usr:grp weewx:weewx (which is where the upgrade script
>> borked, setting user permissions)?  My fix was amending permissions on:
>> '/dev/ttyUSB0' to: root:weewx, and weewx started fine.  Until, it tried to
>> write the HTML, where weewx no-longer had permissions.  Upon granting weewx
>> permission to that folder / sub-folders, all seems well.  Thoughts, anyone?
>>
>> Best regards, Jason.
>>
>> On Sunday 11 February 2024 at 07:36:30 UTC+11 Joseph Verreau wrote:
>>
>>> p.p.s I just noticed that I didn't have the subsystem prefix on my
>>> rule.  So my entry in 50-localusb.rules is:
>>> SUBSYSTEM=="tty",ATTRS{serial}=="1344794749",