Vince,
Nice write up.
Begin shameless plug…
Since I am heavily invested in reading things from MQTT, I just run rtl_433
as a separate service and subscribe to the topic. I did this primarily to
get the data in a service and secondarily to get sensors that were not
’mapped’.
The service invocation, ‘ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/rtl_433 -M utc -F
mqtt://localhost:1883,retain=0,devices=rtl_433[/host]/devices[/type][/model][/subtype][/channel][/id]’
And one topic config looks like this
[[topics]]
ignore = True
[[[message]]] type = individual # Upright freezer (basement)
[[[rtl_433/weather-data/devices/Acurite-606TX/77/temperature_C]]] ignore =
False unit_system = METRIC name = extraTemp8

It may seem more complicated, but since I was invested in MQTT, it actually
simplified it. This was primarily because I could treat rtl_433 as a
separate service

End plug