And that's one of the issues. No logs are being written. /var/log/syslog
has nothing and neither does/var/log/weewx/weexd.log. The debug=1 setting
is set.

This was working just fine under V4 so I can't believe its to do with
things like perms.

"running a somewhat unusual setup"? I assume you have no other users runing
weewx in a container? Makes total sense to do it that way when you think
about it. Even on an RPi. Why waste a whole machine on such a trivial task?

I'll take another swing at it. see if I can't get some logging going.

Mark