I have never seen the Vantage emit a bad date. What does happen is either

1. The computer lacks a clock, so it synchronizes the Vantage to the wrong
time. There is a check in WeeWX to avoid starting up with a clock that's
really off, but the best protection is to install a real-time clock in the
computer.

2. The logger memory gets corrupted. This is pretty rare, but seems to be
triggered by power outages (although not always). The symptom is that WeeWX
fails to download any new data, so your webpage doesn't change. See the
Wiki article *Wiki generates HTML pages, but does not update them
<https://github.com/weewx/weewx/wiki/Troubleshooting-the-Davis-Vantage-station#weewx-generates-html-pages-but-it-does-not-update-them>*
for
details. This sounds the closest to the situation you describe, but with
WeeWX it does not result in a record being downloaded with a bad date.
Perhaps wview does something different in this situation. The problem can
always be solved by clearing the logger memory. If you do a memory dump
first, it does not result in loss of data.

Hope that answers your question.