Rainer, the WH57 sends lightning data as the lighning is detected, the
console shows this data immediately.
I observed this mutliple times:

You see the lightning out there, the LED of the WH57 flashes red, the
counter on the console goes up, the distance is also updated. If there is a
lightning just a few seconds later, the same game again. Even when polling
the console API in an interval < 79s, you get the lightning data updates
more frequently than 79s.

Wait for the next storm and see. I have no doubt that with SDR you can
receive these data, as it's sent by the WH57.

Your information does not fit the observed reality. Whats true is that you
need to store lightning data in a different format, to calculate a
meaningful value for the archive record. Something like the count per
interval and a kind of weighted average for the distance. It exists for the
Tempest, which transmits lightning data using UDP as it detects a
lightning. Apart from the other data which is transmitted in a constant
interval.