Ahh, thank you for this information! I've spent several days trying to
calculate rainRate for my newly imported historic data by using weectl
calc-missing, with all sorts of different settings tested out in
weewx.conf. I could get all the other data I wanted, like windrun and heat
index and so on. I've pulled some hairs during this period, that's for
sure. But now it all makes sense: rainRate does not work on archive
records, only loop data.

I could not understand from the wiki that rainRate was exempt from working
on archive records, that's why I believed I was doing something wrong all
this time.

You definitely have my vote if you are considering resolving issue 787.

Best regards,
Martin Thoresen