Hard to say but I still think your weewx user's ssh setup vs. your remote
system is incorrect.

   - use your normal account and ssh in 'without' a password using a
   passwordless keypair and see if it works
   - do the same test from the weewx account and see if that also works

If you can ssh in as yourself but 'not' as weewx, that means your weewx
.ssh/config setup isn't quite right....

Remember - you need a 'passwordless' keypair for weewx.