Almost 10 years ago I started an experiment on how long an SD card can last
in the WeeWX environment. You can see the environment here
<https://www.threefools.org/weewx/status/index.html>.

When the experiment started, Squeeze (Debian 6) on an RPi B+ was state of
the art. We've now gone on through 4 new generations of Pi's, and 6
generations of Debian.

I'm finally bringing the experiment to a halt today, just short of its 10th
anniversary,  not because the card failed, but because the version of ssh
it uses is so obsolete that my cloud server refuses to accept a connection
any longer.

I could install the latest version of Raspberry Pi OS, but I'd like that
corner of my desk back.

Conclusion? There is no reason not use an SD card as your primary storage
if you do the following:

   - Get a good one. I used a SanDisk Extreme Plus, which is still
   available.
   - Buy a big one so the wear-leveling algorithm has lots of space to work
   with.
   - Use a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). This cuts down on electrical
   transients.
   - Run a backup!

-tk