Arne Caspari wrote:
There is one issue that I forgot with a DirectShow plugin:

Since you would need to link the plugin with a closed source library ( DirectShow ), you can not distribute it ( at least not in binary ) since unicap is GPLed. ( Just like openwengo ).

Since you have a windows build and use ( I guess ) DirectShow, you should already be in such a licensing situation. How is it handled by the current openwengo license?

I might be misinformed about DirectShow, but I believe it is a part of Windows itself. In that case the GPL (ยง3) says:

"However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component itself accompanies the executable."

If this exception wasn't there it would be impossible to develop any GPL licensed application for Windows, and it would also have been impossible for the GNU project to develop anything at all during its first 10 years, when all they had was commercial (Sun) Unix platforms.

So there is no problem in porting GPL applications to non-linux systems and to link against proprietary drivers or other libraries that are a core part of that system.

henrik

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+358-40-5697354