On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 03:12:42AM +0100, Lars N?sbye Christensen wrote:
> It's about the fact that Battle for Wesnoth uses the DejaVu Sans
> font, v.1.12 and since that version quite a few glyphs have been
> added to it.

The new glyphs aren't currently used by any translation.  Greek still
uses FreeSans, and I'm not sure what Hebrew uses.  The idea in moving to
DejaVuSans was to drop FreeSans once DejaVu added the required glyphs,
but as discussed previously on IRC, our SDL_ttf renderer is broken with
with Block Elements added in DejaVuSans 1.14.  It calculates bounding
boxes based on maximum values in the font, so replacing 1.12 with version
2.1, the line spacing is awful.  See my posting to the SDL list earlier
today to try to get Stepan Roh's suggested patch into mainline SDL_ttf --
this fixes the line spacing issue in my testing, but I am unsure about
the method being "the right way".

Greek and Hebrew translators: any comments on the suitability of
DejaVuSans 2.1+cvs/2.2 for your language?

> As you can see in the thread above, I contemplated
> adding the glyphs for the Macintosh option and command keys to DejaVu
> Sans.

Sounds like a nice reason to upgrade.

> The 'official' new release of DejaVu Sans (2.2) will be out on
> January 15th, so I was wondering if you would update the version
> included with BfW, so us Mac users could put the symbols in the
> menus? :-)

I'll commit Stepan's patch if the SDL folks don't come up with a good
reason for it being bad, and upgrade to 2.2 at that time.

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]