On Oct 10, 2005, at 1:29 AM, ott wrote:
I also would prefer not to have directories tagged with artists' names.
This goes counter to the way we do attributions elsewhere, and makes
it difficult to classify images that are the work of several people.
On the other hand, we really do need to make sure all images and music
in the game have proper embedded tags, identifying the artist and the
copyright terms.

Well, all of the "large-scale" images that were the work of multiple people have basically been the work of some artist + me. And I don't care about being attributed or not; certainly not in such specific terms.

So it's only me. =) That may change, but for various reasons of art experience, I doubt it will do so. The chances of getting a multi- person workflow (lineart+inker+coloring+etc) going around here are, methinks, quite slim. Jason Lutes gave up on that and just decided to color his portraits himself. It's faster.

The "core" portraits directory could, if all files were at its root, have hundreds of images. I think that organizing by artist is the most logical way to go, because it also organizes them by "style", which encompasses a great many things.

For example, most of the Jason Lutes portraits are a bit large in terms of the heads they portray - we may someday want to scale them down, but only the images by Jason Lutes. There are several such operations (sharpening filters come to mind - I did that to all of my HttT images, back in the day) that might ostensibly be performed on any number of images, the important thing is that all images by a single artist share a number of subtle, implicit properties that would make them cohesive targets for such operations. Some of those operations might be performed at runtime (like the resizing).

And hey - someday, if good things happen, and art starts growing on trees, we may even be inclined to remove sets - and even before that, certain campaign authors might choose to use only a certain set for their campaign. That would certainly be the case if we slagged Neoriceisgood's unit portraits in, which I still may, if I ever get around to coloring the lot of them.

In fact, on the subject of Neoriceisgood's images - that would be a good example of why campaign-specific data is good. Those portraits were originally intended for SotBE, and are really only appropriate there. Right now, standard procedure is to #ifdef in the portraits according to campaign, but to do so in the core unit file itself. Eww.