John McNabb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Why not just have a single file name, main.cfg, and if it exists only
> process it automagically?  Internally the main.cfg could define any
> order that is needed.  Do we really need to have some sort of
> automatic ordering of a whole bunch of files?

%final.cfg is intened to handle cases like the units/ and terrain-graphics
directories, where you want (for example) to be able to drop in a new unit
.cfg and have it just work.  That is, you *don't* want to have to do surgery
on a local %main.cfg.

An alternative to %final.cfg would be to specify that directory
wildcarding from *within the directory itself* ignores %main.cfg, so
that within units/%main.cfg you could say {units} to pull in
everything else in the directory without recursively including %main.cfg
and blowing up.

%final.cfg is the one that can be done in a completely OS-independent
way, though, so the gain from removing it would be low.  It's %main.cfg
that needs a Windows port patch.

(On further inspection, it applears we don't actually need any OS X-specific
changes.  That was difficult to see because the code is a tangle of #ifdefs.)