Okay, it looks like both, esr and I were wrong regarding the %-values.
That is the "original" version seems to have opaque set to 54% and my
images were somehow wrong, too. I did now recreate all the overlay
images and upload quite some more. It looks like the images got quite a
lot darker. So what was 80 before now is somewhere close to 75. Here a
short explaination of how to create these images yourself:

1) create a new grayscale image in gimp with 100x100 and 72dpi
2) fill the whole image with black
3) in layer settings change the opacity to the value wanted (the values in the
filenames in the rep state the ones I did select in there)

I did now upload these values:
50%, 55%, 60%, 65%, 70%, 75%, 80% and 85% (plus the original being soemthing
like 54%)
They should allow quite some testing. Judging from ingame I would say that 75%
now looks best and works nicely with snowy terrains, too. I did upload all new
screenshots of the scene in the first scenario in Two Brothers and of the
dialog in Northern Winter (httt). I uploaded a screenshot for each of the
opacity values but feel free to test ingame. The file Der_Winter_im_Norden.bz2
includes the save used to create the httt screenshot.
http://www.wesnoth.org/files/transparancy_sshots/

Probably we will have to use a lower opaque setting once blur is commited.
Something like 65% to 70% will then probably work best ingame though I will
create new screenshots once this change is commited.

Cheers,
Nils Kneuper aka Ivanovic
 <http://www.wesnoth.org/files/transparancy_sshots/Der_Winter_im_Norden.bz2>