The argument for the change is simple - to a significant number of
english speakers, "Soul Shooter" sounds silly.  The origin of the
name came when the unit was originally created (around 0.6,0.7?).
Every single thing about the unit was an small modification of the
"bone shooter's" identity.  The stats were simply additive
modifications of the L2 unit, the graphics were simply a colorshift
of the original unit, with a hood and cape added, and the name was
simply a modification of the previous unit.

In groping around for a name, they simply changed the word "bone" to
something that seemed vaguely associated with the undead, and which
also was ... a noun.  They would as well have called it "Ghost
Shooter".  The problem is that it no longer makes any sense; there's
no reasoning behind the name, as there was with the level-2 unit.
With the level-2 unit, the name had a double meaning;  first, "bone"
signified that the unit was a skeleton, was made of bones.  Second,
bone signified that the unit fired arrows made out of human bones.
But "soul shooter" has no such connections - the unit is not an
immaterial ghost; it's a very substantial thing, and it's open for
debate as to whether it even has a soul or not.  Furthermore, it does
not shoot "souls" at its victims, and if it did, we should probably
change the damage type.  Honestly, the name sounds like something a
14-year old D&D nerd would come up with (mostly because, in this
case, it was originally made by a bunch of 14-17 year old players,
and not by the "core" development team).  It's about as retarded as
Napoleon Dynamite's "Liger".

I'm not particularly attached to "aptrgangr", but I am adamant that
we WILL change the name to anything other than soul shooter.  Soul
Shooter was not the creation of any emminent, scholarly mind, and has
no inherent value in being kept.  I would hope that our team is above
being blinded by exposure/nostalgia-bias into clinging to bad
nomenclature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere_exposure_effect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_quo_bias

As for aptrgangr, the arguments in favor of that specific name were:
- it is no less appropriate than terms like revenant, draug, spectre,
or wraith, all of which can have grossly different interpretations.
- it fits with revenant and draug in describing corporeal "wights",
and has connotations of "great warrior", which is good for a
level-3.  (Aptrgangr is actually an interchangable term with Draug -
it describes a warrior returned from the dead).
- though obscure, in every in-game situation where it is seen, the
unit graphic is also present, which makes it completely obvious what
the unit is, as far as videogame mechanics go.  You see a big, scary,
skeleton holding a bow; that communicates an enormous amount about
how the unit behaves in-game.

In fact, the player might learn a new word - both wesnoth and
warcraft III were responsible for goading me into looking up the
proper definition of "revenant".  Even though I had no idea what the
background of the term was, it was obvious from the unit image and
description how it functioned in game.  And being very unknown at the
time, it gave the merest hint of dread, which is very desirable for
an undead unit.  Obscurity is relative - for any term, we can't
guarantee that the reader will know it, since kids do play this
game.  And, so long as the unit has good imagery, it won't have a
negative effect, because they'll know what they *need* to know to
play the game.