I've always thought the best way to do it would be to have it so you
can somehow select your level-up choice at any time on the right side
bar. Then there could maybe be a preference option of whether to still
ask you when it is your turn when the unit levels. It could just be a
little thing like "Level up to: Ranger [select]", and the select
button would bring up basically the same dialog as the current level
up one. Something could still happen to make you change your mind
during other people's turns, but I think that would be fairly rare,
and could even add some strategy ("should I risk not getting the full
heal?").

Ben (crimson_penguin)