On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 8:51 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Quoting Chris De Vries <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My name is Chris De Vries and I am involved with the IEEE student
>> branch at the Queensland University of Technology in Brisbane,
>> Australia [1]. I am organizing a program that encourages students to
>> become involved with open source. I am looking for projects that are
>> interested in taking on students. The branch will be running an
>> information session and I am hoping to list some projects that are
>> willing to mentor students. Is Battle for Wesnoth interested?
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> I think it's reasonable to say that our project has developed a culture
> where anytime someone with less experience wants to contribute to our
> project, we have developers who are happy to mentor, teach, and help them.
> This is usually fairly informal and lightweight, of course.
>
> We even try to maintain a list of "easy coding" tasks so new developers may
> get started, we have very active IRC channels and forums, and so forth.

This sounds like it would be perfect for students. I will list Wesnoth
at the information session I am running on the 19th.

> If you had some formal process in mind, please let us know the details of it
> so we'd be able to assess whether we'd be able to commit to it.

I have not constructed a formal process yet. I plan to have one but it
would be very light weight. It would consist of 1 or 2 follow ups to
see how everything is going. I think that it will be best to pair
students up with a mentor (first point of contact) and an initial
project. I will have more details once I gauge the response from the
information session.