Patrick Parker <patrick....@gmail.com>:
> While I certainly agree that WML markup is lacking in many ways, I am
> skeptical about the smoothness of the transition you are describing.
> The 5 standard escape entities in Pango Markup Language are: &amp;
> &lt; &gt; &quot; &apos;
> This means that ~RC(a>b) image path function syntax will need to
> change (because it contains &gt;)

That doesn't occur in text strings, does it?  Because the pango
interpretation is only done in very specific contects; right now,
only in message= attributes within [message].

> No great loss there. But aren't there other places where special
> syntax of WML attributes uses special characters to represent lots of
> complex data that is crammed into a small space, e.g.
> http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/DescriptionWML ?

I don't know the details of mordante's implementation, but I'm pretty
sure Pango is never going to be interpreted outside of translatable
strings.  That seems quite unlikely to cause syntactic clashes with
RC syntax or anything else.

> Also, rather than discarding backwards compatibility-- consider the
> old syntax being used as a shorthand form? I would at least like that
> idea to be discussed in a forum where campaign authors and UMC
> maintainers can have their say before the change.

We have wmllint.  This makes the utility of "backward compatibility"
in a development branch pretty low.  And the old syntax is both ugly
and limited, anyway - I think we're at the right place in the development
cycle to just shoot it through the head.