i'm away for a week so i can't deeply comment on your idea, but yes.
Thats probably one way to do it.

keep in mind that some artists might want to work directly with
spritesheets and other won't.

I will have to think into it a bit deeper when i'm back but i still
think that would be a full GSOC by itself