haskj...@pvv.ntnu.no wrote:
>> Actually no, we are -not- trying to get work done on a contract basis.
>> If we were we would set goals and deadlines for people, and the money we
>> gave people would be payment for services.
>>
>> We are simply giving people grants that they can use to do *whatever
>> they want* with the only stipulation being that it is Wesnoth-related.
>>

> The things that strikes me about this is: what do Wesnoth as a project gain?
>
> People work on stuff that is fun anyway, for free.

See this is the core point of the grant programme: the idea is NOT to
give people an "incentive" to work on Wesnoth. We clearly have a lot of
people who are excited to work on Wesnoth for free already.

The idea is that if you are someone who is working on Wesnoth for free,
and doing a great job, but can only work on Wesnoth part time because
you have to get a job, we want enable you to work on Wesnoth full time
by paying you the equivalent of what your job would pay you.

What Wesnoth gains from this is that someone who was previously only
working on Wesnoth part time -- and doing a great job of it -- now gets
to work on Wesnoth full time. The productivity gain from being able to
put so much focus on a project you love is large.

THAT is the point of the grants programme, and what we want to accomplish.

David