I believe source from distribution may not be very pratical on embedded devices
such as smartphones.
I have no problem with binary-only distribution as long as :
1) source distribution is also available through another, free channel
2) the binary distribution gives clear direction how to get 1)
I think such distribution is still more or less compliant with the GPL.
Which looked to be the case with the iPhone port last time i checked (i'm not a
iphone user through).
So in my case i have no problem with it.
Maybe there is some things that could be perfected, i don't know...