>From the New Vision of today
  Arua power plant leaves 3,000 in darkness Monday, 6th April, 2009
<http://www.newvision.co.ug/E/8/16/677199>
<http://www.newvision.co.ug/PA/8/16/677199>

*By Frank Mugabi and Barbara Among *

THE West Nile Rural Electrification Company (WENRECO) has closed leaving
3,000 clients in darkness. The company closed its thermal plant in Arua town
a month ago, citing lack of fuel.

The company has also sent most of its staff on forced leave. Sources
revealed that 41 staff, including the entire generation and distribution
departments employees, had been laid off.

The regional manager, Fabian Ahaisibwe, confirmed that the company was not
operating. “We are temporarily out of operation,” he said.

Ahaisibwe said they had taken the “tough decision” to close down the thermal
plant because its earnings were no longer sufficient to sustain it’s
operational costs.

The company said the Government had not fulfiled its promise of contributing
to the heavy fuel used to generate power.

Its installation was originally an arrangement between the Government and
the Aga Khan Foundation. It was intended to serve as a back-up during the
construction phase of the 3.5MW Nyagak mini hydroelectric dam and later as a
peak back-up plant once the hydro plant was complete.

Energy state minister Simon D’Ujanga said the Government was in talks with
WENRECO about the issue.

“We have to fully understand what we are getting into to avoid regrets,”
D’Ujanga said.

The generator that serves Arua and Nebbi districts is said to consume close
to 300 litres of heavy fuel oil each hour.

Management of the power company, however ,declined to comment further on how
up to 41 staff could take leave at the same time.

--
Ruffino Ezama,mccj
Comboni Missionaries

ruffino.ez...@gmail.com