From: Majid Alemi Junior <majidalemijun...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [WestNileNet] Koboko Elders Urge Govt To Interne in Border Conflict
To: westnilenet@kym.net
Date: Wednesday, 8 April, 2009, 9:17 AM

Koboko elders urge govt to intervene in border conflict
Tuesday, 7th April, 2009 E-mail article Print article

By Josephine Maseruka

Cultural leaders and elders from Moyo and Koboko districts have asked the
Government to avert a potentially bloody conflict at the Sudan border.

Haji Sebbi Longa, an elder from Moyo, recently said the Southern Sudan
government was claiming the border area of Bibia and had established a market
at Elegu.

Speaking at the consultative meeting on the formulation of the national land
policy at Grand Imperial Hotel in Kampala, Longa said Sudan had claimed part of
land in Bomure in Moyo.

He said the district had been stopped from constructing a road from Lefori to
the border.

“If the governments of Uganda and Sundan do not convene a meeting to settle the
matter amicably, there will be insecurity in the border areas,” Longa warned.

Tia Silas Aloonyu, an elder from Koboko, said there were conflicts on the Sudan
border at Yumbe, Tereho and Maracha, which could turn bloody if not addressed
immediately.

Aloonyu said before the conflicts, the Sudanese and Koboko residents were
living in harmony. “We would like the Government to sensitise our people and
discourage them from selling land to foreigners.

Another Koboko elder, Lucy Akulia Afulo, supported Aloonyu, saying the
disagreements could lead to a civil war. Responding to the fears, the acting
local government permanent secretary, Tom Matte, said the Government would soon
draw permanent boundaries for Maracha and Terego.

“We have exhausted all administrative measures to settle the matter, but those
people are very stubborn. We have, therefore, decided to draw permanent
boundaries,” Matte explained.   Re: comments about An Introduction to law. I
Posted to members of westenilenet, are part of my subjects. any are entittle
their opinions. thanks. my regards to all. by. majid alemi junior. in BC.
peace,love,unity are the way to success.  the public figures are always
challenged openly, by the people that voted for them.

CURRENT LOCAL NORTH STORIES
Lira school abandoned

Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada

attachments if any). The List's Host is not responsible for them in any way..