Hi MrAdibo Gilbert,

I find it tempting to repsond to your submission the articles by Jckson and Lee
on unempleyment and poverty in West Nile. To begin with, i thank you for you
usually very intelligent arguements. I also appreciate your ability to provoke
further arguement on issues. That is how we can engage our brains to function!

Broadly speaking i would like to agree with you that the people of West Nile
are historically known for being hard working in Uganda and beyond. While is
true i must contest that the youth of taday are largely lazy and have no
purpose in life, at least as far as the way they conduct themslves is
concerned. Indeed, West Nile is what it is like today largely because of the
efforts of the people of West Nile but the youth who are the primary focus of
this debate have not contributed much to the development process in West Nile.
I started digging before i went to school and even when i went to school
i loved to spend my holidays with my parents in the bushes of Rhino Camp
growing simsim for my school fees. These days my siblings prefer to stay with
me in Kampala waiting for me to look for school fees books, pens, pocket money,
name it, while the gardens are unattended to.

I agree with you Gilbert, that the infrasture in the region requires some
serious attention to facilitate free flow of goods and services in the regional
markets but i also believe that there is  alot we can do for ourselves without
waiting for some body's political will over which we have limitted control.
While we demand our fair share of the national cake we must keep helping
ourselves with some "kabalagalas" or "otilikpakia" lest we die of
hunger waiting for the national cake.

While you we need to target the regional markets to sale our foodstuffs, I
belive we have not even supplied the internal market. People are sleeping
hungry in the villages because of acute shortage of food! West Nile has one of
the highest population growth rates which in itself is a potential market
especially for food items if we have the means and purchasing power. Besides,
we do not always have to transport our products to Congo or Sudan or Kampala.
People should come to us to get what we want. As long as it is discovered that
we have surplus production the middlemen will be the ones to come to us for our
products. The cost of transport on the bad roads will be born by the middlemen
and consumer whom they suppy although we shall may not avoid the cost of factor
inputs.

Gilbert, you said you used to grow "marungi" and you still have some "marungi"
gardens if i may ask, did you use eat the marungi you grow and do you stiil eat
marungi. If not why would you think it was bad for you and must be good for the
young people lotering the streets. I am told that one of the reasons why the
young people are eating "marungi" is to become clever. Surely, do you believe
such stuff? Should encourage our young people to continue to believe these
kinds of lies.

Otherwise, i thank you for injecting more thought into the discussions and hope
others will add their voices so that our understanding of the real issues is
enriched.

Thanks

Sam Andema