From: Caleb Alaka <calebal...@yahoo.com>
To: A Virtual Network for friends of West Nile <westnilenet@kym.net>
Sent: Wed, 10 February, 2010 10:19:36
Subject: [WestNileNet] Passion for the Public University in West Nile

Dear Vasco,

I read your submission on the issue of establishing a Public University with
interest. I beg with respect to disagree with you on the issue of diverting any
money for establishing a Public University because such funds should go to
improving performance of schools at Primary and Secondary Level. Lets forget
the issue of our Students not qualifying to be  admitted to this University.
Lets look at the Forest other than the tree. I mean shifting the paradim and
reasoning out of the box. Do you Know how many qualified academics we have who
could have got employed in this University?, Do you Know how much funding for
research the different faculties would attract, Do you Know that this research
would have an Impact on West Nile, Do you Know how many people benefit from
short courses tailored to meet specific demands ? Do you Know that People leave
West Nile Every Friday for Kampala to study Week end Courses in  MUBS, MUK,
UCU, IUIU? and do you how much this
 is incoveniencing? Do you Know how many of these dons would author books, for
use even for some of our secondary and Primary schools? Do you Know How many
People would be employed in the Administrative Positions? Do you Know how many
of our people would get a competitive advantage over other Ugandans in getting
employed in this University. Do you Know that the Central region in Uganda has
more graduates because they had a University in the names of Makerere
University.

Vasco, what of the sheer development in Infrastructure, Business opportunities,
Hostels, e.t.c. Another aspect we should look into is does this poor
performance in National Exams determine whether our kids are dull and
substandard. What of Schools which perinially cheat and Students Perfom
Wonders, are these students better than us. Our Experience and I hope the David
Olema's explain this is that passing highly is not essentially an indicator of
intelligence.

I will give you an example of Zachary Lomo. This Guy Studied in a self help
made School in Sudan while they were refugees, He latter on studied in a School
which was virtually unknown in Kampala. He did not get the 4As at A-Level which
was a prerequsite for offering Law. He got some sponsers who understood his
Capacity. He went on to do law, Excelled and defeated the so called 4A students
of Kisubi, Budo, Namilyango, He went to Harvard and smashed all the records and
He has completed His Phd in Cambridge. So lets not imagine that the poor
performance in our schools means dullness. There are many factors. Imagine the
best boy in West Nile told the World that it was the Ombachi Old Boys who
challenged him to concentrate. What our kids need now is not lack of facilities
or infrstructure, It is change in Attitude. Give us three more years, with the
Work Sam Ejibua, Draecabo and Okuni and other Obs and Ogs are doing we shall
shoot up the academic scale.

Please lets not oppose this University. It can be taken anywhere. after all
while we were in power what did we do for ourselves?