Dear WNF,

I want to believe that we are all aware that some of our brothers and sisters
are serving jail sentences in China, Iran and India. And this category are
serving jail sentences (sentences passed without legal representation) ranging
from 15 years to life imprisonment for the offence of possessing narcotic
drugs.
I have some information about the caseload in China because one of them is my
sister and I periodically talk to her and the embassy. Some are in Beijin city
(Doka Zaitun, Driwaru Florence, Norah Dezu)  while others are in Ghounzhou city
(Habiba Musa, Bako Lucy, Drani Charles). I have received some letters from my
sister and her friends (all inmates) that are a little disturbing. All these
people are used by drug dealers who are here in Kampala but have consealed
their
identities.

Some few months ago, many of you might have seen, the media houses ran articles
about Ugandans serving jail sentences in china. In the article, according to
the
ambassador, there were 54 ugandans in jails in china and 35 of whom are ladies
in their early to mid thirties.

I thought this is an issue worth sharing on this forum and we see if there is
anything we can do for our brothers and sisters, from a legal persepcetive or
advocacy perspective. I can understand that a crime is a crime and depending on
the territory where it is committed, the punishments may vary. As we know,
china
is rather a difficult country and her human rights rating is worrying.

Ismail