Thanks Christine,

Sounds very draconian, why would anyone -police or whoever is involved- fire
live bullets into fishermen, regardless of the legality of their actions?
Surely all that needed to be done is arrest them and if found guilty of illegal
fishing, there must be provisions in our penal code to penalize them
accordingly. This is tragic and must not be allowed to go unpunished-
particularly during these campaign times. This is also where we Ugandans never
stop surprising ourselves: we are so keen to kill fellow Ugandans because of
illegal fishing (or whatever it is that might be the reason for these
unnecessary killings); We threaten to use death penalty to stop homosexuality
but interestingly we feel so reluctant to penalize those  who deprive us of the
essential social services for which we pay taxes or even keep a close eye on
private sector to protect the citizens from unprofessional practices, land
grabbing, substandard goods etc. I sometimes wonder aloud, if we are going
through 'normal' processes of turning a banana republic in to some modern (or
is it post modern) republic or if we may be quietly suffering from some
cognitive dysfuctions that stop us from making sense of our actions as a
nation. I hope we will get some form of justice for the victims.

Kind regards,

Maureen

Sent from my iPhone