Dear Christine,

Thank you once more for the update. It is good there is a bit of justice
being done. But as you've pointed there is more injustice done already. I am
really disturbed that the press has decided to keep quiet about this issue,
especially police brutality (a public institution for that matter)! Are we
in a jungle? Now if the press cannot report something very tragic like that
but reports at length about the suicide case of a minister's son, then it
makes me wonder whether the common innocent man in today's Uganda is worth
living! Secondly, personally I wouldn't like the president to take it as a
personal matter to compensate the berieved families and relatives. It is
government employees that have murdered innocent people, therefore it should
be the government to bear the burden. In a period of political campaigns the
help of the president whether genuine or not will be taken as a goodwill
gesture which in turn, is then expected to be reciprocated in giving him
votes. I think and we should, as a community, should reject these simplistic
approaches to issues of justice, but rather make the government see the
gravity of this issue. They can deny us of other services but not kill us on
top. This would make us feel extremely bad added to the injured feelings
(especially of marginalisation) we already have. So, I suggest that our
colleagues on the ground team up, brainstorm as fast as possible,  and go to
any media house in our region to hold a talkshow conerning crime in which,
this particular killing of our relatives (especially by government
employees-the police) could be me made as a point of reference.

Thank you,
Alex

believed to be clean.