Dear Christine,

Thanks very much indeed to you, Mandera, Alfred, Vasco and all those who have
continued to support Milburga and family in fighting for justice for Late Mercy
Ayiru and indeed for the women of Uganda.

As you have rightly pointed out, such undertakings are quite intimidating,
treacherous, mentally and physically draining, let alone the economic cost. The
experience must really touch one deeply and/or personally to want to go through
such journeys.... (but God forbid anyone ever going through Milburga & family's
journey). This is further complicated by some mitigating factors such as our
cultures, beliefs, socioeconomic status inter alia. For example, I'm aware of a
family that lost a  daughter slightly younger than Mercy, similar condition
(fibroids), in a public hospital in West Nile (May, 2010 or thereabouts) but,
in the hands of a doctor who is related to this family. The dilemma for this
family has been that risk of straining family relationships if they pursued the
cruel death of their daughter through formal channels (The Medical Council).
They seem to be moving towards private settlement or private disciplinary
measures (unclear at this stage). Another common short c
 ut is to presume that such unacceptable deaths are a reflection of "the will
of God", in which case, 'nothing can be done but to accept the tragedy'.  It is
then possible to conjecture from yesterday's New Vision coverage of Mercy's
case, why Ssali feels so confident to "offer compensation outside the court".
After all, if 'one does not make any noise and quietly accepts compensation'
the implications are that 'life can always be destroyed and compensated as and
when...as long as business and the bottom line is not affected'.

Just a quick point of information, the late Mercy's referral to this dreadful
hospital came from a Consultant Gynecologist who ironically is based at Mulago
hospital, working in other private hospitals/clinics and precisely wrote the
referral note from Mulago hospital Obstetrics and Gynecology Department (4th
floor, New Mulago). This was the fourth doctor referring Mercy to a supposedly
superior facility. I'm inclined to believe luck plays an important role in some
of these experiences.

Until when our entire healthcare system is overhauled in Uganda, including
crucially, an embedded sense of acting responsibly when discharging duties, the
lucky ones will escape and Mercy and others like her will continue to be part
of this bleak statistics. Today's Monitor article on 'a district crippled by no
electricity' and all those unreported cases of deaths add to the magnitude of
the healthcare challenges facing us. It seems to me that the ultimate battle
must go beyond the private-public healthcare provision, for, as Ssali is said
to have narrated yesterday, and in our own experiences, more less the same
practitioners work in public and private hospitals anyway.

Thank you once more for all the support, the fight obviously continues.

Very kind regards and best wishes for the weekend.

Maureen

Sent from my iPhone