 From: Christine Munduru <cmund...@gmail.com>
To: A Virtual Network for friends of West Nile <westnilenet@kym.net>;
koboko...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:40 AM
Subject: [WestNileNet] summary about discussions in Arua

Dear all,
This is to let know that we had a very successful discussions in Arua on
domestic violence and its consequences. The community was very vibrant in the
discussions including children who gave their testimonies.

We had the discussions guided by
The Community Liason Officer, Arua
The Officer in charge of family and children protection unit
Two medical doctors both public health officers
A senior science teacher and a radio presenter
Public Health Officer

Community identified the following as causes of domestic violence

poverty was number on the list
culture erosion and western culture infiltration
Alcohol and drug abuse
Laziness
polygamy
having many children without plan to look after them
women empowerment-this had heated discussions
educational differences etc

Varied solutions were given to address the issue

The comunity suggested other topics to address some of the issues which included
Culture rejuvination and how to deal with western culture infiltration
Alcohol and drug abuse even we told them this was already discussed
How to come out of poverty with the economic turbulence and lack of finacial
sources
Prevention fo mother to child transmission of HIV
Cervical cancer
Discordance

More of this will be posted inform of videos on the website for those
interested to listen later

Thanks

Christine