From: banduga ismail <bani...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: A Virtual Network for friends of West Nile <westnilenet@kym.net>
Sent: Saturday, 2 June 2012, 10:14
Subject: Re: [WestNileNet] Dr. Onzivua appointed as Health Ethics trainer by
medical council

Many have congratulated Dr. Onzivua for this appointment. I want to
congratulate him as well. As alluded to by many, this is good for us because he
is our own.

Lets take a minute and see beyond the appointment and see the probable
implications. At times, its not good to speculate. But speculation is a human
attribute. Please forgive me for speculating in this matter. What does this
appointment mean to Dr.s' hands-on practice? What does it mean to his patients?
What does it say about the medical training of our health professionals? I
don't have answers to these questions myself. I am just  sharing my thinking.
Maybe Dr. himself might want to help me understand the implications of this
appointment.

Take a second minute and assume that 60-70% of the health professionals in
practice in Uganda today do not practice the health ethics correctly and hence
the need for health ethics training. I see Dr. having a huge work to do that
will see him busy 24/7, traversing Uganda north, west, east, south and central
considering the number of health professionals and health units in the country.
Now that we are moving towards the East African Federation, Dr. might find
himself training in Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda or South Sudan. If this will be
true, my guess is, it will keep Dr. out of hands-on practice. This maybe bad
news to his patients in the interim.

I want to believe that all professions have what is called professional ethics
which constitutes the training one undertakes to become a professional in that
field. I am familiar with the teachers' professional ethics, commonly referred
to as the teachers' code of conduct because I am one.  This is one of the
professional course units someone training as a teacher is introduced to before
he/she is pronounced a teacher. However, this does not mean all teachers know
it by letter and live by it. What happens at the school level is enforcement.
That is what the head teachers, inspectors of schools and DEOs ought to do. My
gut feeling is that  either the health ethics is not emphasized in the course
of training or the supervisors are not enforcing it at the respective points of
practice. Assuming this is true and this training has to be integrated into the
curricula of medical training. Dr. may find himself moving from one medical
school to another, a
 call that will further keep him out of hand-on practice.

All this is okay because there will be many more after the trainings practicing
according to ethics. I hope Dr. will have the resources and cooperation he
needs to discharge of this duty. I hope medical council, the appointing
authority will give him the space he needs to transfer the knowledge he has to
others so as to improve the health service delivery.

Ismail